TBA Trip to the South
Highlights of our exploration of centuries of Southern US History:
- Explore the Jewish history of the French quarter and celebrate Shabbat in New Orleans
- Tour the Whitney Plantation in Edgar, LA, to learn the history of slavery on a southern Louisiana sugarcane plantation
- Visit Temple B'nai Israel and tour Antebellum homes in Natchez, MS
- Learn about the Siege of Vicksburg at one of the most decisive Civil War battle sites in Vicksburg, MS
- Explore the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum and visit with the ISJL in Jackson, MS.
- Stop by Congregation Beth Israel in Meridian, MS, and learn about the Temple’s 1968 bombing by the KKK, and the murders of the locally based Freedom Summer Activists Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner.
- Tour various historical sites in Montgomery, AL, including Dexter King Baptist Church, which was at the forefront of the civil rights movement led by then-pastor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, and the EJI's Legacy Museum and National Memorial for Peace and Justice.
- Head to Selma, AL, and connect with Temple Mishkan Israel, the Jewish Harmony Club, and conclude the FootPrints to Freedom tour by walking over the Edmund Pettus Bridge.
- *Depending on interest level, we may add a trip extension to Charleston and Savannah.