welcome to Bait Tefillah (House of Prayer)
ברוכים הבאים Welcome to the BAIT Tefillah Minyan of Temple Beth Am! Founded in 1992, BAIT Tefillah is a warm, child-friendly and multi-generational weekly Shabbat morning service within the Temple Beth Am Community.
A highlight of the weekly BAIT service is an interactive discussion of the Torah portion between the Rabbi and congregants. BAIT provides unique opportunities for lay involvement as participants are encouraged to lead the service and chant the Torah/Haftarah portions, all within a nurturing and supportive environment. BAIT offers mentoring outside of the Shabbat service, where one can learn and become comfortable with the various parts of the service.
Meeting Time and Place
Most Shabbat mornings you can find us in Pilch Hall, just off the Kichaven lobby. We start at 9:45 am and typically finish by 12:30 p.m.
The components of BAIT Tefillah:
- Psukei d’ Zimrah , the introductory psalms, sung in a
spirited and spiritual way
- Shahrit, the morning service, led by Rabbi or congregant.
- Torah Service, led by a congregant, with seven abbreviated aliyot for Torah readers who are growing in their skills.
- Rabbi’s Torah Discussion, followed by Musaf, the concluding service led by a congregant.
For bimah activities and honors, participants wear a kippah/headcovering and a tallit.
Directly following the service we welcome you to join us for Kiddush and light lunch.
Quarterly Meetings provide an opportunity to discuss minyan issues and ideas.
Leadership - BAIT Tefillah Steering Committee is led by an active BAIT congregant who works directly with Rabbi Leider to guide the minyan in its growth and development and carries out the BAIT Strategic Plan under the leadership of the TBA Ritual Committee.
Many Ways to Participate…
- Want to read Torah, lead a part of the service, or have an Aliyah?
- Celebrating a lifecycle event, such as a baby naming, aufruf or Bar/Bat Mitzvah?
- Interested in a Prayer Skill Workshops? (Drop-in, learn and become comfortable with parts of the service – no Hebrew required!)
- Sponsor a kiddush or make a contribution to the TBA kiddush fund?
- Sign up via email to receive BAIT updates?
Contact us at (310) 652-7354
Rabbi Adam Kligfeld, Senior Rabbi – firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 210
Hilary Wolf, Assistant to Rabbi Lucas – email@example.com, ext. 230
Cori Drasin, Assistant to Rabbi Kligfeld/Life Cycle Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org, ext.210
Check out our Jewish Links page to find useful Jewish websites for Hebrew calendars, finding recordings of popular melodies of prayers, a guide to chanting Torah and Haftarah, and much more!!
MP3 files are now available for learning the Torah service or the Musaf service. Please contact Hilary Wolf and she will email a file to you.